Democracy in America in the 21st Century

Welcome to this forum. Over time, I will post what I hope will be engaging posts and interesting links about the state of Democracy in America in the 21st Century. Much has changed since my first treatise was published in 1835, and much has been lost about the greatness of the American experiment in democracy. Any questions or comments about the site that you want kept private can be emailed to alexis.redux@gmail.com.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Tempering the tyranny of the majority.

For my first post, I thought I'd revisit what I wrote in Democracy in America about administrative centralization (better yet, the lack of). In early America, one of the ways that the "tyranny of the majority" was tempered was the lack of administrative centralization. Most of the administration of government was done at the town level. This had the effect of limiting the most "advanced instruments of tyranny," i.e. central government administration of policies. I'll leave you to judge where we are now on the scale of local vs federal administration/control.

No comments:

Post a Comment